Tuesday 22 June 2010

After a bit of a false start I am now back online.

So what has happened. Well, not a great deal really. The weather has not exactly been ideal for birding so spent most of my time concentrating on the ringing. Last weekend was excellent and with loads of juvenile birds around we managed 72 new birds and 48 re-traps. This included a net-round of 52 birds!! Most of the birds were tits and blackcaps but it did include my first stock dove. Never have the mis-fortune of having one of these birds relieve itself on you as it stinks like nothing else. The ringing bag and my clothes went straight into the washing machine. Other goodies included a juv coal tit, great spotted woodpecker and a treecreeper.



stock dove and treecreeper

Garden ringing has been going really well and the addition of fruity nibbles to the bird feeders and been attracting in the starlings en-masse. Before I started ringing in the garden I had only rung 1 starling, up until a few days ago I had rung 35 in the last month. This included one that took the garden total to 100 birds rung in about 6 weeks. Goodies for me here in the last week have been my first collared dove, a smart coat tit and a great spot. Unfortunatly I didn't have the nets when a nuthatch (1st for the garden) was about on Thursday.






coal tit and collared dove




No comments:

Post a Comment