Saturday 14 April 2012

Damm north wind

The plan was to ring in the garden first thing and then head out to the coast. The hard frost put pay to opening my nets so I headed to the reserve. The weather was nice around the carpark but as soon as you got out of the shelter of the trees it was a different matter!

I wanted to get out to Thornham Point first to check for migrants and thankfully there wasn't many people about. As I got to the beach I met Stuart who was twitching the black guillemot so I soent a bit of time with him chatting and looking at the bird. Despite the sea being petty choppy the light was really good but it was too windy to digiscope.
The walk to the Point was very uneventful and I didn't even see a passerine...it's mid-April for gods sake!!!!! Things didn't get much better, the Thornham Point bushes held 2 dunnocks and 3 woodpigeon and a sample hour vis mig count from the dunes produced 12 linnet and 2 swallow! The morning was saved by a fly-by male ring ouzel (146) that sadly didn't stop. A yellow wagtail (147), 15 swallow and 3 house martins on the walk back did brighten my mood a bit.

An hour looking for raptors from Choseley barns failed to produce anything but I did have yet another red kite on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment