Sunday 10 March 2013

Amazing garden

Ever since we have been at our current house we have been improving it for wildlife by putting in new beds and borders with plenty of nectar rich plants, dug a pond and put up a load of feeders. Since I started garden ringing in 2010 I have increased the feeding and now have 12 feeders around the place.

The increase in feeding has paid off this winter with the number of birds around. With peak counts  in recent weeks of 42 brambling, 35+ siskin, 10 goldfinch, 6 lesser redpoll along with 30-40 greenfinch and 20 blackbirds it has been spectacular. Ringing has been good with 14 brambling, 16 siskin and a couple of lesser redpoll ringed in the last month. Hopefully I will get some controls out of them...?

I received news about a greenfinch I controlled here just before Christmas. It turned out to be the 2nd bird I have caught that was originally ringed at Gibraltar Point in Lincolnshire

Bramblings in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment