Friday 8 March 2013

Orange headed ground thrush

Ever since seeing them in the tropical house at Slimbridge when I was a wee lad, I have always wanted to see an orange headed ground thrush.

Fast forward ‘several’ years and I now had the chance to see them in Goa although they were going to be of the race cyanotus the one without an orange head!!! Despite being basically bright orange, I had heard that they were very hard to locate amongst the dappled woodland and spend some of their time grubbing around in the leaf litter.

We were walking back through Arpora Woods when a load of monkeys disturbed some birds from the ground and made me stop on look. I couldn’t find the disturbed birds but I could hear something scratting about in the leaves behind me. A few minutes of moving to a better position and getting down on my knees, BINGO, an orangey stripy head came into view, it was a stonking ground thrush. I was very happy to have found my own.

Things were set to change once we got to Backwoods. They seemed to be all over the place and we even saw them feeding on fruits high up in the trees! As usual, the light in the forest wasn’t really very good but I did manage to get a few decent record shots that I am pleased with.








No comments:

Post a Comment