Saturday 2 August 2014

What are the chances of that...

After spending the morning birding on the reserve last Sunday, I bumped into Mark Golley and Graham Etherington who were visiting in search of the long tailed skua.

We got talking about birds (as you do) and in particular the colour ringed godwits that were about when I mentioned that I had managed to read a ring combination on a spotted redshank that had been close to the path.
Mark was very interested to know the combination as he had also read one last year. I didn't have the record in my notebook but I passed it on to him later in the day.

Mark emailed on Monday and amazingly it turned out to be the SAME bird! Mark had seen it on July 1st 2013 and my sighting was on July 12 this year.
Turns out the bird was ringed as an adult on July 2nd 2008 in Castricum in Holland.

Although we know that birds pass though the same sites every year, it is always great to get the proof

No comments:

Post a Comment